The Faculty External Rewards and Recognitions Committee (FERRC) has named 13 awardees for 2020.
The FERRC Awards are designed to reward faculty for achievements or recognition during the previous calendar year that enhanced the reputation of Missouri S&T and brought national or international honor and distinction to their recipients.
Nominees are considered by the committee for one of their tiers of recognition.
Tier One recognizes faculty who have earned an award or achievement of national or international stature, crossing multiple disciplines and of great impact.
The 2020 awardee is:
- Dr. Frank Liou, the Michael and Joyce Bytnar Professor and director of manufacturing engineering, won the 2020 Frederick W. Taylor Research Medal from SME (formerly the Society of Manufacturing Engineers).
Tier Two recognizes faculty who have earned an award or achievement of the highest level of recognition in their discipline.
The 2020 awardees are:
- Dr. Audra Merfeld-Langston, chair of arts, languages and philosophy, and associate professor of French, was named an America’s Languages Fellow of the American Academy of Arts & Sciences.
- Dr. Christi Luks, teaching professor of chemical and biochemical engineering, was named a fellow of the American Institute of Chemical Engineering (AIChE).
- Dr. Francisca Oboh-Ikuenobe was named a fellow of the Paleontological Society. She is associate dean for academic affairs in the College of Engineering and Computing. She is also a professor of geosciences and geological and petroleum engineering.
- Dr. John McManus, Curators’ Distinguished Professor of history and political science, won the seventh annual Gilder Lehrman Prize for Military History.
- Dr. Ming Leu, the Keith and Pat Bailey Missouri Professor of Integrated Product Manufacturing, won the International Freeform and Additive Manufacturing Excellence (FAME) Award.
- Dr. Steven Corns, associate professor of engineering management and systems engineering, was named an American Society for Engineering Management Fellow.
- Dr. Suzanna Long, chair and professor of engineering management and systems engineering, was named a fellow of the Institute of Industrial Systems Engineers.
Tier Three recognizes faculty members who have received a significant national honor or recognition in their discipline.
The 2020 awardees are:
- Dr. Amy Belfi, assistant professor of psychological science, received the 2020 Rising Star award from the Association for Psychological Science.
- Dr. Chulsoon Hwang, assistant professor of electrical engineering, received a Google Faculty Research Award.
- Dr. Daniel Oerther, professor of civil, architectural and environmental engineering, received the Fair Distinguished Engineering Educator Medal from the Water Environment Federation.
- Dr. W. Eric Showalter, teaching professor of civil, architectural and environmental engineering, received the Outstanding Educator Award from the Associated General Contractors of America.
- Dr. Fateme Rezaei, associate professor of chemical and biochemical engineering, won a Rising Star Award from the American Chemical Society’s Women Chemists Committee.