- Coronavirus News
- Student News
- Submit News
SAVE THE DATE!
Service Learning Symposium
Tuesday, October 2, 2018 from 9:00am – 1:00pm
RSVP to Dedie Wilson (email@example.com) by COB, September 21st
You are invited to join us Tuesday, October 2, for the campus Service Learning Symposium, providing an array of ideas about the benefits of service learning for you and your students at Missouri S&T! Two new practical workshops designed to help instructors incorporate service learning into their courses will be available: “Intro to Service Learning” and “How to Add Service Learning to Your Course.” The event will be held from 9:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. in St. Pat’s C, Havener Center.
Since seating is limited for this event, make sure to make your reservation no later than Friday, September 21st. Breakfast and lunch will be provided.
Academic Service Learning is used to describe a type of experiential learning where students in a course engage in service to the community, and the service activity enhances and relates to the course content.
How can service learning affect your teaching and scholarship?
• Encourage interactive teaching methods and reciprocal learning between students and faculty
• Add new insights and dimensions to class discussions
• Lead to new avenues for research and publication
• Promote students’ active learning; engage students with different learning styles
• Develop students’ civic and leadership skills
• Boost course enrollment by attracting highly motivated and engaged students
• Provide networking opportunities with engaged faculty in other disciplines
• Provide firsthand knowledge of community issues; provide opportunities to be more involved in community issues
One faculty member says, “Service learning has helped me become a more effective mentor for students, especially in the areas of project management, team dynamics, and communication skills.”
Information and updates on the SL Symposium can be found at the following link: http://academicsupport.mst.edu/experientiallearning/servicelearning/servicelearningsymposiums/.