The office of sustainable energy and environmental engagement wishes Missouri S&T faculty, staff and students a merry Christmas and a happy New Year by offering some “green” tips for a sustainable holiday. During this season of giving, it’s easy to go overboard with gifts, food, lights and travel. Consider one or two of these ideas to reduce your impact on the environment this holiday season:
- Buy less and consider re-gifting or making presents. For more ideas, click here.
- Reuse gift bags. Also, past Christmas cards make great gift tags. Or purchase holiday material on sale and make bags.
- Consider battery-free items and goods made from recycled materials.
- Rethink your lights by using LED, mini-lights and smaller displays.
- When you leave town, be sure everything is turned off, your heat is turned down, and windows are shut tight. Ensure faucets aren’t leaking. Consider carpooling to holiday gatherings.
- To minimize food waste, make less than you think is necessary and buy local foods. Enjoy the company of family and friends without the hassles of overeating and over preparing.
For more ideas, visit eartheasy.com.